Prince Tomislav bridge before opening
1928Prince Tomislav Bridge
Prince Tomislav bridge before opening. The bridge was designed in 1910, as a copy of the famous Chain Bridge in Budapest, and was built from 1921 to 1928. It was named after Prince Tomislav, who was born the same year. The bridge was placed on two concrete pillars, and was 341 meters long, with a pedestrian walkway on both sides and electric lighting. Together with the bridge, Boulevard was broken through which Novi Sad expanded to the Danube and connected it with Petrovaradin.
About this place
The Prince Tomislav bridge was the first permanent road bridge over the Danube between Novi Sad and Petrovaradin. It was built between 1921 and 1928, and it opened a boulevard along which Novi Sad grew down to the river and tied the city to Petrovaradin on the far bank. The Water Gate of the Petrovaradin lower town and the Danube fortifications were pulled down in the early 1920s to clear the ground for it. Yugoslav forces mined the bridge in 1941, the German occupiers rebuilt it, and it was destroyed again during their retreat in 1944; the replacement raised on the same crossing after the war was named for Marshal Tito.
- Date
- 1928
- Coordinates
- 45.25463, 19.85729
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1902 × 1214 px