The approach road and its kiosk
1930sPrince Tomislav Bridge
Prince Tomislav bridge (Мост краљевића Томислава), built in 1928. The approach road curves towards the bridge behind a concrete parapet, with a small flat-roofed kiosk at the right and telegraph poles along the verge.
About this place
The Prince Tomislav bridge was the first permanent road bridge over the Danube between Novi Sad and Petrovaradin. It was built between 1921 and 1928, and it opened a boulevard along which Novi Sad grew down to the river and tied the city to Petrovaradin on the far bank. The Water Gate of the Petrovaradin lower town and the Danube fortifications were pulled down in the early 1920s to clear the ground for it. Yugoslav forces mined the bridge in 1941, the German occupiers rebuilt it, and it was destroyed again during their retreat in 1944; the replacement raised on the same crossing after the war was named for Marshal Tito.
- Date
- 1930s
- Coordinates
- 45.25463, 19.85729
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1085 × 700 px