Tunnel at Petrovaradin
9 August 1905Petrovaradin
Captioned in Hungarian and German, Pétervárad. vasuti alagut. and Eisenbahntunnel in Peterwardein, the railway tunnel. A hand has written the date 9. Aug. 1905 across the foot with two signatures, so the card dates itself.
About this place
The town on the right bank of the Danube facing Novi Sad, gathered around its great fortress. A Roman fortress called Cusum stood here in the 1st century, and the medieval town is first recorded as Peturwarod (Pétervárad) in 1237. The Ottomans took it after a two-week siege in 1526, and it passed definitively to the Habsburgs in the 1690s, becoming the garrison town of Peterwardein; Prince Eugene of Savoy defeated the Ottoman army beneath its walls in 1716. The Baroque lower town (Podgrađe) still stands under the fortress walls. Long administered separately from Novi Sad, Petrovaradin lost its last separate municipal status when the city statute of March 2019 merged it fully into the City of Novi Sad.
- Date
- 9 August 1905
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 317 × 317 px