The Our Lady of Snow church in Petrovaradin
1915Petrovaradin
Captioned in German alone, Maria Schnee bei Peterwardein, with neither Hungarian nor Serbian on the card. The church is shown with its domed tower and twin west spires, the walls heavily grown over with creeper.
About this place
The town on the right bank of the Danube facing Novi Sad, gathered around its great fortress. A Roman fortress called Cusum stood here in the 1st century, and the medieval town is first recorded as Peturwarod (Pétervárad) in 1237. The Ottomans took it after a two-week siege in 1526, and it passed definitively to the Habsburgs in the 1690s, becoming the garrison town of Peterwardein; Prince Eugene of Savoy defeated the Ottoman army beneath its walls in 1716. The Baroque lower town (Podgrađe) still stands under the fortress walls. Long administered separately from Novi Sad, Petrovaradin lost its last separate municipal status when the city statute of March 2019 merged it fully into the City of Novi Sad.
- Date
- 1915
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1482 × 1060 px