Liberty Square
1970Liberty Square
A crowd on the zebra crossing with a policeman standing among them, and a Volvo bus pulling in with the destination blind 1. KLISA. The building behind carries VOJVODJANSKA BANKA in raised letters, repeated on a board further along.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
- Date
- 1970
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1000 × 723 px