Under the arch from the bank
1936Prince Tomislav Bridge
Prince Thomas Bridge. Taken from the bank close under the bridge, looking along and up through the steel arch, with a moored vessel at the left and buildings on the far side. Captioned in Cyrillic and Latin as Most Kraljevica Tomislava.
About this place
The Prince Tomislav bridge was the first permanent road bridge over the Danube between Novi Sad and Petrovaradin. It was built between 1921 and 1928, and it opened a boulevard along which Novi Sad grew down to the river and tied the city to Petrovaradin on the far bank. The Water Gate of the Petrovaradin lower town and the Danube fortifications were pulled down in the early 1920s to clear the ground for it. Yugoslav forces mined the bridge in 1941, the German occupiers rebuilt it, and it was destroyed again during their retreat in 1944; the replacement raised on the same crossing after the war was named for Marshal Tito.
- Date
- 1936
- Coordinates
- 45.25463, 19.85729
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1862 × 1196 px