A crowd along the palace front
1901Bishop's Palace
The Orthodox Bishop Palace was projected by Vladimir Nikolic. A line of people stands along the pavement in front of the palace, with a horse cart at the far left.
About this place
The residence of the Serbian Orthodox Bishop of Bačka, standing at the head of Zmaj Jovina street. The first episcopal palace here was built in 1741 under Bishop Visarion Pavlović next to the Cathedral Church and was destroyed in the bombardment of June 1849. The present palace was completed in 1901 to a design by architect Vladimir Nikolić, its facade blending Byzantine and Serbian medieval monastery motifs with the schooling of Vienna; Patriarch Georgije Branković attended its inauguration. Since 1984 a monument to the poet Jovan Jovanović Zmaj has stood in front of it.
- Date
- 1901
- Coordinates
- 45.25700, 19.84790
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1080 × 701 px