Inside the pool hall
Iodine Spa
The spa had as many as 40 bathtubs, and there were showers and three pools with hot and cold water. The Department of Physical Therapy used mud therapy. The picture shows the pool hall itself, with figures standing in and beside the water under the arched end window.
About this place
Iodine-rich mineral water was struck here in 1897 during drilling for drinking water near the Futog forest. A spa was built from 1908 and opened in 1910, its Secession-style main buildings designed by the Budapest architect Imre Francsek. The complex, which included the Park hotel and a bathhouse, was enlarged in 1931 and remained a well-known resort into the 1960s; its central pool closed in 1977. The buildings today house the Special Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases, the only specialised rheumatology institution in Vojvodina, and the whole ensemble is protected as a cultural-historical complex.
- Approximate
- 1909–1940
- Coordinates
- 45.24982, 19.82854
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1240 × 612 px