Petrovaradin/Pétervárad/Peterwardein
1900Petrovaradin Fortress
The guard turned out at the fortress gate, captioned in Fraktur as Gruss aus der Festung Peterwardein with a Serbian line beneath it, and at the right Hauptwache beim Belgrader Festungsthor, the main guard at the Belgrade gate, again with its Serbian equivalent. Published by Verlag Josef Schindler, Neusatz, and a German message signed Marie is written across the foot with the year 1900.
About this place
A Habsburg star fortress on the right bank of the Danube, built between 1692 and 1780 on a site fortified since antiquity: the Romans held Cusum here, a medieval fortress followed, and Cistercian monks kept a monastery on the hill in the 13th century. Beneath its walls Prince Eugene of Savoy defeated a far larger Ottoman army on 5 August 1716. Nicknamed the Gibraltar on the Danube, the fortress conceals some 16 kilometres of underground counter-mine galleries dug in 1764-1776. On its clock tower the hands are reversed, the long hand showing the hours so that fishermen on the Danube could read the time from a distance. Today the fortress houses the City Museum of Novi Sad and hosts the EXIT festival each summer.
- Date
- 1900
- Coordinates
- 45.25250, 19.86250
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 832 × 527 px