The main square and the Catholic church
1900sLiberty Square
Market day, with trestles and baskets set out across the square in front of the church. Captioned in Hungarian and German, Róm. kath. templom and Röm. kath. Kirche, and a shopfront under the domed block is lettered with a Hungarian name ending JÓZSEF, surname first in the Hungarian order. The sky has been retouched with painted cloud.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
- Date
- 1900s
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1030 × 1570 px