Royal District Court
District Court
Captioned in three languages, Ujvidek, Нови Сад and Neusatz over M. Kir. Törvényszék, Окружни суд and Justizpalais, the Hungarian royal court named first. An electric tram with a bow collector waits in the street, and a message written across the sky in German asks after the recipient's health and whether her husband is still in Pécs.
About this place
The court house stands at the Danube park end of Dunavska street and was raised in 1896 to plans by the Budapest architect Gyula Wagner. Under Hungarian rule it held the royal court of justice, and a trilingual postcard of 1915 labels it M. Kir. Törvényszék, Окружни суд and Justizpalais, giving the Hungarian, Serbian and German names in turn. It went on housing courts after 1918, when the city passed to the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. The Vojvodina Museum, founded in 1947 and without adequate premises for decades, moved into the former courthouse in 1974 and occupies it still under the name Museum of Vojvodina.
- Year
- 1915
- Coordinates
- 45.25647, 19.85145
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 800 × 506 px