Ship station
1908Petrovaradin Fortress
Captioned in Hungarian and German, Magyar hajóállomás and Ungarische Schiffstation, the Hungarian shipping station, with Ujvidék at the far corner. The pontoon station carries the letters M.F.T.R. on its board and a paddle steamer lies alongside with bunting strung from the mast.
About this place
A Habsburg star fortress on the right bank of the Danube, built between 1692 and 1780 on a site fortified since antiquity: the Romans held Cusum here, a medieval fortress followed, and Cistercian monks kept a monastery on the hill in the 13th century. Beneath its walls Prince Eugene of Savoy defeated a far larger Ottoman army on 5 August 1716. Nicknamed the Gibraltar on the Danube, the fortress conceals some 16 kilometres of underground counter-mine galleries dug in 1764-1776. On its clock tower the hands are reversed, the long hand showing the hours so that fishermen on the Danube could read the time from a distance. Today the fortress houses the City Museum of Novi Sad and hosts the EXIT festival each summer.
- Date
- 1908
- Coordinates
- 45.25250, 19.86250
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 722 × 474 px