Two trams at the palace corner
1910sBishop's Palace
Serbian Orthodox Bishop's Palace. Sepia postcard captioned in Hungarian and Cyrillic. One tram car stands at the left of the crossing and a second waits at the right, beside the ornate corner shrine.
About this place
The residence of the Serbian Orthodox Bishop of Bačka, standing at the head of Zmaj Jovina street. The first episcopal palace here was built in 1741 under Bishop Visarion Pavlović next to the Cathedral Church and was destroyed in the bombardment of June 1849. The present palace was completed in 1901 to a design by architect Vladimir Nikolić, its facade blending Byzantine and Serbian medieval monastery motifs with the schooling of Vienna; Patriarch Georgije Branković attended its inauguration. Since 1984 a monument to the poet Jovan Jovanović Zmaj has stood in front of it.
- Date
- 1910s
- Coordinates
- 45.25700, 19.84790
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1094 × 696 px