Barges below the fortress
1931Petrovaradin Fortress
The Fortress. Captioned in Cyrillic and Latin as Petrovaradin, Dunav. A long barge lies moored along the near bank with a paddle steamer beyond, and the fortress runs along the ridge above.
About this place
A Habsburg star fortress on the right bank of the Danube, built between 1692 and 1780 on a site fortified since antiquity: the Romans held Cusum here, a medieval fortress followed, and Cistercian monks kept a monastery on the hill in the 13th century. Beneath its walls Prince Eugene of Savoy defeated a far larger Ottoman army on 5 August 1716. Nicknamed the Gibraltar on the Danube, the fortress conceals some 16 kilometres of underground counter-mine galleries dug in 1764-1776. On its clock tower the hands are reversed, the long hand showing the hours so that fishermen on the Danube could read the time from a distance. Today the fortress houses the City Museum of Novi Sad and hosts the EXIT festival each summer.
- Date
- 1931
- Coordinates
- 45.25250, 19.86250
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 736 × 478 px