The Old Danube Street
Dunavska
The shopfront is signed three times over for the same photographer, SINGER J. UDVARI FÉNYKÉPÉSZ in Hungarian, HOF FOTOGRAF JOSEF SINGER in German beneath it, and the name again in Serbian Cyrillic on the board next door, a fair record of how the street's trade lettered itself. The card's own caption is in Hungarian only, Ujvidék, Duna utcza, in the old cz spelling, and an electric tram with a bow collector stands in the crowd, so the picture is 1911 or later and before 1918.
About this place
Dunavska street runs from Zmaj Jovina down to the Belgrade Quay on the Danube, and took shape in the first years of the 18th century as the road between the town centre and the river landing. Early city maps call it Auf den Brücken, the street on the bridges, because timber bridges carried it over the marshy ground on either side, and it was also known as Petrovaradinska after the crossing to Petrovaradin. From the late 18th century the name settled into Dunavska, with Duna utca in Hungarian and Donau-Gasse in German saying the same thing. The houses at numbers 1, 6, 7, 18 and 20 are protected monuments, and the street today carries the Museum of Vojvodina, the Historical Museum, the Officers' House and the entrance to the Danube Park.
- Approximate
- 1911–1918
- Coordinates
- 45.25632, 19.85078
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 640 × 407 px