Spital added in ink to the caption
1913Serbian Orthodox Orphanage
The German word Spital, hospital, has been added in ink beside the printed Hungarian caption. Tram rails with a turnout run across the foreground and a crowd stands along the pavement. Orphanage for Serbian Orthodox orphans founded by Marija Trandafil. A name and a date are written in ink across the sky of the card, which is captioned in Hungarian and Cyrillic. People stand along the pavement at the foot of the corner building and tram rails run through the street.
About this place
The house was the largest endowment of Marija Trandafil, a Novi Sad landowner who died in 1883 after making her whole estate over to Matica srpska, and it was built to keep orphaned and poor Serbian Orthodox children. It went up in 1912 on the plot of the old caravanserai that had burned when the city was shelled in 1849, to a design by Momčilo Tapavica, a Novi Sad architect who had taken third place in tennis at the first modern Olympic Games in Athens in 1896. Postcards of 1915 and 1916 name the street Szűcs utca and Ћурчиска улица, the furriers' street, and label the building szerb szegényház in Hungarian and Сиротиште in Serbian. The children were moved out in 1928 and Matica srpska took the premises for itself; the building stands at Matice srpske 1, on the corner of the square that has carried Marija Trandafil's name since 2001.
- Date
- 1913
- Coordinates
- 45.25909, 19.84510
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 677 × 956 px