The bridge command post
Petrovaradin
Printed plate captioned in German, Brueckenkommando an der Bruecke, die von Neusatz nach Peterwardein hinueberfuehrt, the bridge command on the crossing from Neusatz to Petrovaradin. Austro-Hungarian soldiers and an official stand outside the guardhouse under its Brueckenkommando board.
About this place
The town on the right bank of the Danube facing Novi Sad, gathered around its great fortress. A Roman fortress called Cusum stood here in the 1st century, and the medieval town is first recorded as Peturwarod (Pétervárad) in 1237. The Ottomans took it after a two-week siege in 1526, and it passed definitively to the Habsburgs in the 1690s, becoming the garrison town of Peterwardein; Prince Eugene of Savoy defeated the Ottoman army beneath its walls in 1716. The Baroque lower town (Podgrađe) still stands under the fortress walls. Long administered separately from Novi Sad, Petrovaradin lost its last separate municipal status when the city statute of March 2019 merged it fully into the City of Novi Sad.
- Approximate
- 1914–1918
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1600 × 1175 px