Lawns laid out before the town hall
1930Liberty Square
The central square. The square is laid out with lawns and young trees, with the town hall and its tower beyond and the dark edge of a building at the right of the frame. The town hall seen across the fenced garden in the middle of the square, with horse cabs still waiting at the kerb and their drivers standing by.
About this place
The main square of Novi Sad, laid out as the town took shape in the 18th century. Under Austria-Hungary it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph; it became Liberation Square after 1918 and Liberty Square after the Second World War. The neo-Renaissance Town Hall (1893-1895) and the neo-Gothic Name of Mary Church (1893-1894, with a 72-metre tower) face each other across it, both designed by architect György Molnár. The Tanurdžić Palace on the square followed in 1933. The seven-metre bronze monument to Svetozar Miletić by Ivan Meštrović was erected in 1939, hidden during the wartime occupation, and returned to the square in late 1944.
- Date
- 1930
- Coordinates
- 45.25512, 19.84502
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1240 × 826 px