The royal eagle on the card
1930Gendarmerie and NCO School, Sremska Kamenica
Sremska Kamenica - Gendarme and non commissioned officers school. A brown-toned card with a royal double-headed eagle printed in the top left corner, captioned in Cyrillic and Latin as Kamenica in Srem.
About this place
The long school building above Sremska Kamenica was raised in 1848 for the Austrian army and has been given over to military or police training for most of its life since. An infantry cadet school moved here from Osijek in 1895 and stayed until the empire ended, and postcards of that period caption it K. u. K. Infanterie-Cadettenschule; the village itself is Kamanc in Hungarian and appears on the cards as Kamenitz. Between the wars the Kingdom of Yugoslavia ran the place as its gendarmerie and non-commissioned officers' school, the name printed on the 1920s and 1930s cards, and after 1945 a run of militia and interior-ministry schools followed. It holds the Serbian police Centre for Basic Police Training today, keeping its original romantic-revival shape in a park of some sixteen hectares; no architect is recorded for it.
- Date
- 1930
- Coordinates
- 45.22059, 19.85098
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1193 × 784 px