Gendarmerie School
Gendarmerie and NCO School, Sremska Kamenica
Captioned twice, Касарна Краља Александра in Cyrillic and Kasarna Kralja Aleksandra in Latin, naming the barracks for King Aleksandar, which places the card in the Kingdom after 1918. The parade ground in front is bare mud and the trees along it have only just been planted.
About this place
The long school building above Sremska Kamenica was raised in 1848 for the Austrian army and has been given over to military or police training for most of its life since. An infantry cadet school moved here from Osijek in 1895 and stayed until the empire ended, and postcards of that period caption it K. u. K. Infanterie-Cadettenschule; the village itself is Kamanc in Hungarian and appears on the cards as Kamenitz. Between the wars the Kingdom of Yugoslavia ran the place as its gendarmerie and non-commissioned officers' school, the name printed on the 1920s and 1930s cards, and after 1945 a run of militia and interior-ministry schools followed. It holds the Serbian police Centre for Basic Police Training today, keeping its original romantic-revival shape in a park of some sixteen hectares; no architect is recorded for it.
- Approximate
- 1921–1941
- Coordinates
- 45.22059, 19.85098
- Licence
- Public domain (historical photograph)
- Size
- 1937 × 1239 px