A brightly coloured card captioned in Cyrillic and Latin as Drzavna bolnica, showing the entrance block with its clock turret. A stamp of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes is affixed and cancelled at the top right.
About this place
Novi Sad's public hospital was built in stages between 1907 and 1912 on what was then the western edge of town, along today's Hajduk Veljkova street in the Sajmište district. Its architect was György Kopeczek, a Hungarian who specialised in hospital buildings and who had also designed the city theatre in 1907. It opened in 1909 as the Great City Hospital, with departments for surgery, internal medicine, obstetrics and gynaecology, skin and venereal diseases and infectious diseases, and one of the tram lines that began running in 1911 came out to it. Hungarian and German captions on the postcards name it Újvidék város közkórháza and Allgemeines Krankenhaus; Serbian cards after 1918 call it Državna bolnica, the State Hospital, and the site has stayed in hospital use ever since as the Main Provincial Hospital and now the University Clinical Centre of Vojvodina.